How Chiropractors Help Treat Lower Back Pain for Pregnant Women
Lower back pain can be a common discomfort for pregnant women. As the baby grows and hormonal changes occur, the body is put under increased stress which can cause sharp or dull aches in the lower back.
Chiropractic care can offer relief from some of this pain and can help expecting mothers enjoy their pregnancy. Read on to learn more about why lower back pain occurs during pregnancy and how chiropractors can help treat lower back pain for pregnant women.
Why pregnant women suffer from lower back pain
There are several reasons why pregnant women are susceptible to suffering from lower back pain.
- Weight gain: Women typically gain between 25 and 35 pounds whilst they are pregnant. This additional weight can overwhelm the spine, causing lower back pain. Furthermore, the growing weight of the baby and uterus can exert pressure on the blood vessels and nerves in the pelvis and back, contributing to discomfort.
- Hormonal changes: Relaxin, a hormone produced by the body during pregnancy relaxes ligaments in the pelvic area and improves joint stability and flexibility. Relaxin can also cause the ligaments supporting the spine to loosen. This may lead to instability in the spinal area and result in pain.
- Muscle separation: As the uterus grows during pregnancy, the two parallel sheets of muscles known as the rectus abdominis muscles, that go down the middle of your abdomen, may separate along their central seam. This may also exacerbate back pain.
- Stress: Stress during pregnancy can cause back muscles to tighten up. Tight, stiff muscles can lead to back pain or spasms that can get worse during stressful times in pregnancy.
- Posture changes: During pregnancy, a woman’s center of gravity changes. This shift may cause them to unconsciously alter their posture and the way they move. These adjustments can, in turn, lead to back pain or strain
How can Chiropractic Care Alleviate Low Back Pain During Pregnancy?
Chiropractic care focuses on neuromusculoskeletal disorders. A chiropractor uses hands-on adjustments that involve applying controlled pressure to the affected area in order to bring the spine back into alignment.
Chiropractic care can help reduce back pain during pregnancy by loosening tense back muscles.
Chiropractic adjustments alleviate back pain caused by loosened joints and ligaments and posture changes during pregnancy. Research shows that chiropractic adjustments can improve stability and ease discomfort throughout the entire pregnancy, all the way to delivery.
During chiropractic adjustments, the body releases feel-good hormones including oxytocin and endorphins. These hormones reduce pain and stress and promote happiness.
If you are looking for lower back pain treatment near you in Burien, reach out to the experts at Ascent Chiropractic today. In addition to the above, your expert chiropractor can teach you exercises that gently stretch your back to improve flexibility and strength.
Ascent Chiropractic is a trusted chiropractic clinic in Burien. We use a whole-body approach to care. Our chiropractic methods are designed to balance the structure of the body, so our clients can be free from lower back pain, even during pregnancy. To learn more, call 206-241-3836.